• Designed by the architect C. A. Wiinholt who also designed the mission house Bethania situated on the town square in Herning.
• The church was built in the late 1880’s and inaugurated in 1889.
• Herning Church replaced the ancient medieval church, which no longer held a central position due to urban development and was now positioned outside of town.
• C. A. Wiinholt designed the church in the romantic style of the medieval times and was very conscious of the fact that the church should be harmonious with the surroundings.
• John Eyde, the owner of Hotel Eyde donated land for the construction of Herning Church, which explains why Herning Church and Hotel Eyde hold such significant positions on the town square.
• Unlike other churches in Denmark, the entrance of Herning Church is on a north-south-axis due to its entrance from the town square.
• The chancel is facing north and the tower is facing south.
• The church has been expanded and modernised several times. First time in 1903.
• The base of the church contains recycled materials from the old church.
• The altar has been replaced but the original altar has been preserved and can be seen in the church.
• The original altar and altarpiece is ceramics and was modelled and decorated by Th. Bindesbøll and created by Herman A. Kähler in 1891. Today the ceramic altar is placed in the church sacristy and is one of the biggest art treasures of Herning. In 1917 it was replaced by a larger alter and altarpiece painted by Joakim Skovgaard.
• At its 100-year anniversary in 1989 the church was given a crucifix created by Erik Heide. Furthermore, a carillon, with 48 bells moulded in France, was consecrated.
• The Herning Boys Choir sings at services in the church.
• The Herning Boys Choir was founded in 1949 and is among the oldest and best boys’ choirs in Denmark. It is renowned in Denmark as well as internationally. Since 1984, Mads Bille has directed the choir. The choir consists of about 45 boys and young men, the majority of which have been members of the choir since being enrolled in the preschool choir at the age of 8-9.
A little extra
Whenever Herning City hosts Open By Night, Herning Church opens its doors to anyone interested in seeing, hearing and experiencing the church in a new and different way. On some occasions a demonstration of the large church organ and the many bells of the church tower will take place.